Wednesday, January 2, 2019

"Come, Follow Me"--keeping it simple for a young family



As a family, we set a goal to implement the new "Come, Follow Me" program introduced by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. To put it simply, it is a program to encourage more “at home” gospel learning. Each family gets to choose how to use the program to best meet the needs of their family.

Our family decided that in addition to reading 5 verses from the Book of Mormon with our kids (our current goal), we would add one verse from the New Testament each night and take time to discuss it together. The kids wanted to call this concept “verse talk.”😊 It takes just a few minutes, and it is helping our children actually learn and apply the truths found in the scriptures. The verse we choose to read each night from the New Testament coincides with the weekly reading schedule found in the "Come, Follow Me" manual.

So, on New Year’s Eve, we read our usual Book of Mormon study, and then read Philippians 4:8 together,

“Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.”

We let the kids take turns telling us examples of true thoughts, honest thoughts, pure thoughts, and lovely thoughts. I explained that purity is like a glass of clear water. But what happens when we put dirt in it? If we watch, read, or talk about “dirty” things, our minds get yucky, too. I reminded the kids that if they are ever having a hard time at school, or see something that doesn’t make them feel good inside, or hear words that are yucky—that they can focus their thoughts and actions on the things we talked about: things that are true, honest, just, pure, lovely, good report, virtuous, praiseworthy.

That was it! It was so simple, but I felt the Spirit touch my heart as I taught, and I saw my kids make a connection to what they were reading. And even though I thought I was teaching something I already understood, I gained a deeper understanding of this scripture by talking about it. I was reminded to rid myself of the things that are harmful to my thoughts. If I read or see something that is opposite of what this verse teaches, I need to stay away from it. It will only bring me down and hurt my spirit. However, if I fill my mind with truth, honesty, purity, virtue, etc—I will discover more peace and happiness in my life; it will invite the companionship of the Holy Ghost.

Last night we did a different verse (James 2:17), and had a similar experience. I look forward to continuing to learn and grow as a family!

No comments:

Post a Comment