Tuesday, January 8, 2019

After my brother died, I was given a message



I fell asleep sobbing the night of my little brother’s passing. I’ve never felt such a sick, hollow, helpless feeling. In the middle of the night I woke up, and immediately felt overcome with all-consuming pain again. But unexpectedly, something happened that would profoundly affect my life, and would later bring about literal miracles in the lives of others. The words of a primary song entered into my mind. It was a perfectly clear phrase, and I immediately knew it had great significance. In the moment, I didn’t recall the tune from the song or the name of the song, but the words were clear and exact,

What does the Father ask of us? What do the scriptures say? Have faith. Have hope. Live like His Son. Help others on their way.

The next morning, those words played in my mind over and over. I looked up the lyrics online, and discovered the song was entitled, “He Sent His Son.” I was stirred by the message of the entire song. I felt sincere gratitude that my Heavenly Father sent it to my mind and heart. I called my mom and shared my experience with her. My family decided to have the congregation sing that song at my brother’s funeral. 

Just a few weeks ago, someone contacted our family to share with us how hearing that song at the funeral changed her life. It continues to powerfully impact her to this very day, 6 years later.

Since my brother died, I’ve had several other personal experiences with this song. Each time, I’m reminded that my Heavenly Father is aware of me and my brother is aware of me. Each time, I feel inspired to apply the message, and I instantly feel buoyed and lifted by my Savior.

As I enter 2019, excited to recommit to goals and make positive changes, I want to focus on applying a simple message—a message my brother was a true, living example of during his short life.

Have faith.

Have hope.

Live like His Son.

Help others on their way.

What does He ask? 

Live like His Son.

2 comments:

  1. You have a gift of writing, Erica. I work in the Primary and just adore the songs, they truly are a gift from God and during difficult times and hard ones they heal you and grow your testimony. Your brother is definitely proud of you as a mother and I believe angels surround us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This touched my heart—so much. Thank you for sharing this and for your uplifting words!❤️

      Delete