Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Concern for the Wounded and Bleeding



It was a beautiful spring day in Idaho, and my fitness instructor announced that we would be going on a 2-mile run around the campus. Without hesitation, I mentally committed to finish first. I was excited to push myself and see how fast I could finish. Just before we were about to leave on our run, my teacher pulled me aside. She quietly asked, “Would you mind staying in the back to make sure no one gets left behind? There are a few girls in the class that will need encouragement to finish.” I quickly smiled and obliged, but at the same time, I was a little bothered to set my “oh so important” goal aside.

The run started, and I hung around the back with the girls who chose to walk. I had no idea that this experience would result in a powerful lesson that would stay with me forever.

I met wonderful people who were used to being “left behind.” Multiple times they thanked me for walking with them. I don’t remember much of what we talked about, but I do remember how I felt. Great love and compassion filled my heart for them. I was touched to hear about their lives and struggles. I only wished this experience was something I had chosen—rather than something I was asked to do.

Here I am over 10 years later, and I’ve thought back to that experience more times than I can count. Alma 60:22 perfectly describes what I learned from “staying behind” with those who were in need.

The stirring scripture reads,

“Yea, will ye sit in idleness while ye are surrounded with thousands of those, yea, and tens of thousands, who do also sit in idleness, while there are thousands round about in the borders of the land who are fallen by the sword, yea, wounded and bleeding?” (Alma 60:22)

This verse never fails to remind me of my need to succor the “wounded and bleeding.” I might not see actual blood, but for certain there are those who are emotionally and spiritually bleeding, there are those who are struggling to run the race. It is up to me to look around (with spiritual eyes) and see who is in need--and then help them.

The sweetest moments in my life have been when I have helped someone “wounded and bleeding.” When I rid myself of idleness (and selfishness), and focus on having “concern for the one,” I begin to feel overwhelming love for the people I am serving; I feel God’s love for them. I develop a clearer perspective on what life is all about. I feel happier and peaceful. My own problems don’t seem so hard anymore.

That is what I experienced while walking with the girls who struggled to finish the 2 miles. I felt so much love for them. I no longer cared about when I finished, I just cared about helping them finish. Seeing them succeed became my focus and it brought me so much happiness to see them cross the finish line. I will be forever grateful for my teacher who asked me to stay behind. She helped me look outside of myself, and it resulted in one of the greatest lessons I gained in college.

Heavenly Father loves you, and He loves me—regardless of our standing in the race. He cares about helping ALL win the race. He needs us to do the same.

It gives me courage to think that the Savior ran the most difficult race of all—far harder than any of us could fathom; yet, He still had time to serve, love, and bless “the one.” He completed His race in behalf of others, not for Himself. No matter the difficulties I face, because of Christ, I too can lift hands that hang down. I can discover His same, real joy and purpose. I can help others finish the race, just as He did.

May we take a moment to pause in the race we are running and look around—look ahead, look to the side, and look behind. Wherever we are, we can help someone in need. We can lend an encouraging word, offer a “drink of water”, lift someone to their feet, nurture a wound, share a burden, take the time to listen. By serving others, we will truly discover the sweetest joys, lifted burdens, and a renewed perspective. We will discover a joy-filled race worth running.

“Always be willing, even anxious, to help others. Nothing else you do will give you the same genuine satisfaction and joy within because, and I quote, “when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.” (Mosiah 2:17.)” –Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin

No comments:

Post a Comment